Contact:W. Scott Horne
212 909 5350 (office)
908 625 5361 (mobile)
HEAVISIDE AND CAPEZZA HONORED at LONG ISLAND’S FIFTH ANNUAL ATHENA LEADERSHIP AWARDS
MELVILLE, NY, February 16, 2017 – Katherine Heaviside, founder of Epoch 5 Marketing and Public Relations, and Kristen Capezza, associate vice president for enrollment management at Adelphi University, have been recognized for outstanding leadership with Long Island’s fifth annual ATHENA Leadership and Young Professional Leadership awards, respectively. Heaviside and Capezza, along with the other finalists, discuss leadership in this video.
The ATHENA awards recognize exemplary women leaders who have achieved excellence in their business or profession, served the community in a meaningful way, and actively assisted women to achieve their full-leadership potential. Heaviside and Capezza received the honors January 17 at a breakfast ceremony at Oheka Castle attended by Long Island business and community leaders.
In addition to Heaviside, other finalists for the ATHENA Leadership award were: Laura Cassell, executive director/CEO, Catholic Charities Diocese of Rockville Centre; Kathy Munsch, regional vice president,
American Heart Association of Long Island; and Michele Pincus, of counsel, Schroder & Strom, LLP.
Other finalists for the ATHENA Young Professional Leadership award were: Caitlin Meuser, senior integrated marketing specialist; Henry Schein, Inc.; and Angela Ruggiero, senior manager, corporate communications, Henry Schein, Inc.
“Each of these outstanding finalists were nominated by a peer, a friend or colleague which clearly conveys the very positive impression each has made in her profession and community, and the high regard in which they are held,” said Theresa Ahlstrom, partner, KPMG, and cohost of the ceremony. “This wealth of respect and influence is a key indicator of how women leaders are positively affecting Long Island.”
Kelly Watson, U.S. Risk Consulting Service group leader, KPMG LLP, was keynote speaker at the awards breakfast.
Watson leads a team of more than 4,500 professionals who provide risk and compliance services and serves on KPMG’s board of directors. She has served on KPMG’s Women’s Advisory Board, and has been widely recognized as an outstanding woman leader and was named to Consulting Magazine’s 2016 Top 25 for Excellence in Leadership.
The ceremony was hosted by the Long Island Athena Selection Committee and lead sponsor KPMG LLP. Participating sponsors included Estee Lauder Companies, Farrell Fritz, The First National Bank of Long Island, Henry Schein, the Nature’s Bounty Co., NorthWell Health, Signature Bank, and 1800Flowers.com.
ATHENA Award Recipient Biographies:
- ATHENA Leadership Award – Katherine Heaviside, founder, Epoch 5 Marketing and Public Relations
- Long Island corporate and non-profit boards:
- Executive Boards of Directors – Long Island Association and United Way
- Board of Directors – North Fork Bank
- Numerous awards and recognition including:
- Public Relations Professionals Lifetime Achievement and Distinguished Leadership Award
- Small Business Administration Women in Business Advocate
- New York State Legislature Woman of Distinction
- Long Island Business News Top 100 Influentials and Business Hall of Fame
- ATHENA Young Professional Leadership Award – Kristen Capezza, associate vice president for Enrollment Management, Adelphi University
- Mentor, NYS Association for College Admissions Counseling
- Presenter, National Association for College Admission Counseling National Conference
- Served in leadership roles:
- Bryant University
- Nassau Counselor’s Association
About KPMG LLP
KPMG LLP, the audit, tax and advisory firm (www.kpmg.com/us), is the independent U.S. member firm of KPMG International Cooperative (“KPMG International”). KPMG International’s independent member firms have 189,000 professionals, including more than 9,000 partners, in 152 countries.
About ATHENA INTERNATIONAL
Founded in 1982 by Martha Mayhood Mertz, ATHENA International develops, supports, and honors women leaders and has recognized 8,000 award recipients in more than 500 communities. Professional women have received the prestigious ATHENA Award in the United States, Bermuda, Canada, China, Greece, India, Russia, Unite Arab Emirates and the United Kingdom.
# # #